25 Jan 7 Top Tips to Help Dodge Colds and Flu
Did you know that a few simple lifestyle changes can help you boost your immunity to help dodge colds, flu and illness? The first line of defence is our immune system- it is the best insurance you can have when it comes to helping avoid feeling unwell so make sure it’s in top working order. One of the main ways to help keep fighting fit is to stay rested. Lack of quality sleep has been shown to compromise the immune system. A good night’s rest is as important as eating healthily! See below for more ideas.
- Eliminate refined white sugar. It’s been shown to compromise immunity. Use natural sweeteners like stevia or agave or honey.
- Avoid caffeine, it dehydrates the body which can make one more susceptible to colds and flu. Try herbal teas instead.
- Eat more protein & add more colourful vegetables & fruit to your diet. Carbs spike sugar levels in blood due to their high glycemic index which stresses the immune system and encourages bacteria growth. Protein helps build natural defences against illness. The more richly coloured foods usually have higher levels of vitamins and nutrients.
- Take an immune support supplement daily or at the first sign of illness. Like a multivitamin, it’s a great supplement to take year round. Bee Prepared immune formulas contain natural, plant based ingredients with proven benefits which are not usually found in a regular diet (bee propolis, black elderberry, olive leaf , and more) which support, but never over stimulate, the immune system. Sold in Boots, & health food stores including Holland & Barrett, organic groceries and online globally via Bodykind.
- Go easy on over the counter remedies. They often contain the same things like acetaminophen (as in tylenol etc) and an overload can damage the liver. Also read the label- several cough syrups contain chloroform and ingredients that have been shown to be carcinogenic in high amounts. There are lots of better natural remedies out there that do no harm and could provide more than just helping you feel better temporarily like most OTCs do.
- Probiotics. Eat foods like natural yogurt or take supplements- we love Optibac.
- Exercise. Research has shown that those who exercise regularly have half as many sick days due to colds and flus as moderate exercise strengthens the immune system.
Bee Prepared immune formula is suitable for most ages and the capsule contents may be added to juice, smoothies, yogurt & raw recipes. See our Instagram page for recipe inspo- just click here.