Help Prevent Colds and Flu, 7 Top Tips
1. Lemon juice! It helps restore the alkali balance in the body. Bacteria thrives in an overly acidic system. Have it in water, tea, salad dressings etc.
2. Avoid caffeine, it dehydrates you which makes you more susceptible to colds and flu. Try herbal teas instead or hot lemon & honey (try manuka).
3. Eat more protein. That’s right, carbs spike sugar levels in blood due to their high glycemic index which stresses the immune system and encourages bacteria growth.
4. Go easy on over the counter remedies. They often contain the same things like acetaminophen (as in tylenol etc). An overload can damage the liver.
Also read the label! Several cough syrups we found contain chloroform (eek!) not to mention ingredients that have been shown to be carcinogenic in large amounts. Now that ones guzzles these things I hope but still…who wants consume any of that stuff or think of children doing so. Remember all the cough syrup recalls a few years ago? There are lots of better natural remedies out there that do no harm and could provide more than just helping you feel better temporarily like most OTCs do.
5. Exercise. Research has shown that those who exercise regularly have half as many sick days due to colds and flus. Just because it’s winter that’s no excuse to lounge around on your backside. You may end up paying a price! However- over exercising has been shown to reduce immune function. See an article written my one of our nutritionists for Sportsister Magazine.
6. Eliminate refined white sugar. Don’t even get us started. It’s hideous and a top cause for immune stress and other body calamities. Artificial sweeteners can be just as bad. Use natural sweeteners like stevia or agave or better still, honey. Side bar- sugar is the absolute, most aging thing you can eat. If you battle cravings, ee our recipe for sugar free chocolate truffles. Delish.
7. Dare we say it? Have a good immune support supplement at hand to take daily or at the first instance of a nasty bug rearing it’s ugly head or when feeling run down. It’s the ONE supplement you don’t want to be without in the winter months or during allergy season. A well functioning immune system is the best insurance you can have when it comes to helping fight off illness. Like a multivitamin, it’s a great supplement to take one year round. Bee Prepared immune support contains only natural ingredients which are not usually found in a regular diet (bee propolis, black elderberry, olive leaf , beta glucans, astaxanthin and more) which support, but never over stimulate the immune system. Sold in Health food stores, organic groceries and chemists and through our online partners. See our stockist page for details.
See recent Daily Mail article on the ‘bee medicine packed’ ‘It Vit’ even celebs love: Daily Mail Article