20 Oct Immune supporting vegetarian gummy bears recipe
These adorable little sweet treats contain honey instead of sugar and have no gelatin making them suitable for vegetarians!
They also have the contents of Bee prepared immune formula daily defence added in to help boost natural defences. Bee prepared combines bee propolis (which has natural antibiotic & antiviral properties), black elderberry (which has been shown in studies to help prevent illness and to reduce number of sick days), olive leaf extract, beta glucans & acerola cherry (one of the riches sources of vitamin c around). Bee prepared is suitable for children so these little guys will go down a treat with kids (of all ages!).
Prep time 20 minutes, cooking time 2 minutes. Serves 2-4
The main ingredient in these gummy bears is real fruit. This recipe, by blogger Sophia Galpin, uses pineapple and blueberries but you can use other fruits or berries. The sweetness comes from the fruit and honey. Sophie uses Agar Agar powder instead of gelatine to create these gummies. You can find Agar Agar (which comes from red algae) on Amazon along with the gummy bear molds.
These Immune Boosting Vegetarian Gummie Bears are great for lunch boxes, snacks on the go, or just to whip out of the fridge when you need something a little sweet. To give them added nutrient boost, Sophia adds in the capsule contents of Bee prepared immune formula daily defence (find In health stores & on Ocado).
The texture isn’t quite the same as the regular gummies you can buy but they are a great healthy alternative.
- For The Pineapple Version
- 1/4 cup pureed pineapple or pineapple juice
- 1/4 cup coconut milk (or milk of your choice
- 1 tbsp honey (or maple syrup)
- 1 tsp agar agar powder
- Pinch of turmeric for colouring
- Squeeze of lime
- 1-2 Bee Prepared Daily Defence capsule
- For The Blueberry Version
- 1/4 cup pureed blueberries
- 1/4 cup almond milk (or milk of your choice)
- 1 tbsp pure honey (or maple syrup)
- Squeeze of lemon
- 1 tsp agar agar powder
- 1-2 Bee Prepared Daily Defence capsule contents
- For The Pineapple Gummie Bears – Heat the coconut milk, pinch of turmeric, honey and agar agar in a small saucepan over medium heat, bring to a boil, whisking continually. When it starts to boil it should thicken very quickly – once it’s thickened to a thin paste like consistency, take the mixture off the heat.
- Add your pureed pineapple or pineapple juice to your mix to bring the temperature of the mix down. Add contents of 1Bee Prepared Daily Defence capsule. Whisk until well combined. Have a little taste and add more honey/sweetner to your taste.
- Spoon/pipet the mixture into the moulds and place in the fridge to set for 15 minutes or so.
- Remove from moulds and store in an air-tight container in the fridge for 5-7 days.
- To make the Blueberry Gummie Bears use the same method but switch fruit to blueberry puree, and the milk to almond (or whatever milk you like really), do not add the turmeric and add a squeeze of lemon instead of lime.