14 Apr Top 5 Anti-Aging Nutritionist Tips
What to eat and do to age well, naturally!
Increase Your Antioxidants
Antioxidants play an important role in anti aging. They reduce inflammation, repair damaged cells and restore balance throughout the body. These actions also aid in helping prevent chronic disease. They also aid in helping reduce the signs of aging by repairing damage to the skin from sun and pollutants and improving skin elasticity. Increase antioxidants by:
- Eating more fruits, like berries and citrus fruit, and vegetables, like leafy greens and squashes.
- Take a quality, natural supplement containing antioxidant rich plant extracts, like Bee Prepared Immune Support Daily Defence or Max Strength.
Maintain a balance between Omega 3 and Omega 6 Fatty Acids
The balance between Omega 3 and Omega 6 Fatty acids is important for anti aging by reducing inflammation in the body, supporting cognitive function and for maintaining cellular. Ideally the ratio should be between 1/5 to 1/2 (Omega 3/Omega 6). When consuming the typical ‘Western Diet’ this ratio can be 1/16.
This balance can be maintained by:
- Reducing processed, refined foods and take aways in your diet.
- Eating fresh oily fish like wild salmon, mackerel, haddock and sardines 3 or more times a week.
- Cooking with coconut oil as an alternative to butter, margarine and other oils.
Support immune function
As you age, your immune system may not work as efficiently. A well functioning immune system will aid your body’s natural defences against infection, chronic illnesses and other ailments which can take their toll on your body and ultimately be very aging. Part of your anti aging arsenal should be to support your immune system. Ways to support immunity are:
- Get adequate sleep and rest.
- Find ways to manage stress. Stress hormones have natural immunosuppressive actions.
- Eat immune supporting nutrient rich foods containing zinc, B vitamins, vitamin C and flavoioids.
- Ensure Vitamin D levels are adequate.
- Take natural, plant extract immune support supplements like Bee Prepared Immune Formulas (contains beneficial ingredients not usually found in a regular diet), which will balance and support immune function without over stimulating it.
Eat balanced meals and snacks regularly & avoid sugar.
Research has found that excess insulin can speed the aging process and create inflammation in your body. You can balance insulin and blood sugar levels by:
- Eating meals with a combination of complex carbohydrates, quality vegetarian or lean animal proteins, and antioxidant rich vegetables.
- Having quality snacks between meals, such as hummus with vegetables or oatcakes, to maintain energy and balance insulin levels.
- Reduce stimulants like coffee which can increase insulin production.
- Avoid sugar. Try honey instead!
Exercise not only aids in weight management but it supports your body with improving energy production, immune function and bone density and is great for anti aging. Increase your exercise throughout the day by:
- Taking a brisk 20 minute walk each day.
- Opt to use the stairs or walking to destinations when you can.
- Incorporate resistance training into your regime such as yoga, pilates or weights
Erin McCann NT mBANT